- “The time will soon be here when my grandchild will long for the cry of a loon, the flash of a salmon, the whisper of spruce needles, or the screech of an eagle. But he will not make friends with any of these creatures and when his heart aches with longing he will curse me. Have I done all to keep the air fresh? Have I cared enough about the water? Have I left the eagle to soar in freedom? Have I done everything I could to earn my grandchild’s fondness?” -Chief Dan George-(1899 – 1981)
Popular TopicsAboriginal workers AFLCIO Canada Canadian Labour Congress CBTU Cherokee Council Fire Cree Dakota Pipeline Domestic Violence Ellen Gabriel First Nations Harold Cardinal human rights IAM&AW IHS ILCA Indian Country Indian Health Services Indian Law Resource Center Indigenous Peoples Inter Tribal Warrior Society Inuit Kevin Cummings Kris Thompson LCLAA Lumbee Machinists Union Mohawk National Aboriginal Day National Congress of American Indians native american Native American Rights Fund Native Americans native rights Native Veterans native vote native women Navajo NCAI People of the Longhouse Stephen Harper voter registration Warren Gohl Wayne Thompson
- Tribal Nations Continuing to Support Action on Climate Change and Paris Accord June 12, 2017
- Council FIRE Support Letter to Standing Rock Sioux January 4, 2017
- Native American Heritage Month November 1, 2016
- AFL-CIO Constituency Groups Stand with Native Americans to Stop the Dakota Access Pipeline September 19, 2016
- Coalition of Black Trade Unionists Endorse Council FIRE May 28, 2016
Tag Archives: Machinists Union
Council FIRE is pleased to report that all AFL-CIO Constituency groups have taken a stand to support Native Rights and to stop the Dakota Access Pipeline. Council FIRE has been working with these constituency groups to bring Native issues into mainstream … Continue reading
Council FIRE is pleased to announce that the long process of dealing with the IRS is finally over, and we have been declared a tax exempt organization, under IRS section 501(c)(3). We have further been designated a public charity under … Continue reading
The Oregon State Labor Council, has voted unanimously to endorse the proclamation in support of indigenous peoples of the Americas. Thanks to Tom Chamberlain (pres.) and Barbara Byrd (sec-treas) for their leadership on this.
The IAMAW (Machinists’ Union) held its’ first human rights conference in Orlando, FL from Sept 1 – 5, and council-fire was presented to the 350 delegates from across the US and Canada. The attendees were overwhelmingly supportive of building an international … Continue reading
At a meeting on the evening of June 12, 2011, the International Association of Machinists Representatives Association (IAMRA) unanimously endorsed a motion to support Council Fire. The IAMRA represents staff of the Grand Lodge of the Machinists Union.